Tuesday, April 12, 2011

4-11-11...Lots on my mind

    It has been almost two weeks since I last submitted to the blog...those two weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. There have sadly been more downs than ups, but I continue to trudge along. What other choice do you really have? You can't simply crawl under the nearest rock and hibernate indefinitely!

    The smallest of things have kept my head above water: remembering that others have things worse than I do, the simple pleasures like ice cream with friends, and the unexpected and kind words of others. The last of these has made the biggest impact on my outlook on things. Those words helped me to know that even if I feel like I am falling short in life there are others who feel that I have greatly touched theirs. What a tremendous blessing!

    My encounters have been varied: a longtime friend letting me know that I am special to them, another longtime friend reminding me of a time that I reached out with a letter during the loss of their child that they still have 8 years later and letting me know that they pray for me regularly to be blessed with a husband and children, a high school acquaintance that I became reacquainted with this Fall during a tumultuous time in their life who expressed gratitude for my being there as a sounding board and friend, and a random message from someone I wasn't close to at all in high school telling me they used to have a crush on me and would like to go to dinner sometime.

    Each encounter was very different. A few touched my heart. All made me see that even when I feel like a phenomenal underachiever there are people out there whose lives I have touched. In all honesty I feel a bit bad for being down after getting their messages. So, I took their correspondence as a kick-start to "putting on my big girl panties and dealing with it."
I could choose to stay in my doldrums or I can reach out to others and put a smile on their face like these friends did for me.

    I chose the later! I have spent the past week writing letters to some of my friends and loved ones. Most have simply been "Hi, how are you?" letters, but a few of them I dug a little deeper on. I am not the best person when it comes to the mushy, ooey-gooey of relationships with my friends. I am not accustomed to showing my affection especially through words. So, it has been a bit of a challenge to share my feelings, but I am glad that I have. You never know who needs a pick-me-up just as bad as you do.

   So, if you think someone knows how you feel about them...quit assuming! You know what they say about that...pick up the phone, pick up a pen, send an email or text...share your feelings :) Your doing so will be an unexpected blessing to those whom you reach out to!

God Bless,
Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment